The everything guide to the US Passport application process

Passport Form DS-5504

You will need to fill out a DS-5504 if you need to change your name or correct a printing error on your current passport.

Please keep in mind that if your passport was issued more than a year ago and you are changing your name you are not eligible to use the DS-5504 and will need to follow the renewal process. However printing errors can be changed with a DS-5504 at any point and for no fee as long as the passport is valid. You have two options for filling out this form, you can complete it online and print it out or print it and fill it out using black ink. You need to be sure you fill in all the information not doing so could cause major delays or even suspension. When you have completely filled the form out you will need to sign and date it or it will not be accepted. You will need send this form along with:

  • your passport
  • supporting evidence for the change being made
  • 1 passport photo (if passport has been issued longer than 90 days)
Scroll to top