The everything guide to the US Passport application process

Butte County Clerk/Recorder: Passport Office in Oroville CA

Last Reviewed on March 22nd, 2024

Butte County Clerk/Recorder
25 County Center Dr
Oroville, CA 95965
Hours of Operation Shown in (PST)
9:00AM - 4:00PM
9:00AM - 4:00PM
9:00AM - 4:00PM
9:00AM - 4:00PM
9:00AM - 4:00PM

Handicap Accessible (ADA): Yes

Passport Photos: No, you will need to get passport photos taken before going there. Here is our passport photo guide for reference and here is a list of places to get passport photos in Oroville.

Oroville Passport Office: Butte County Clerk/Recorder Location Overview

Butte County Clerk/Recorder is an acceptance agent/passport office. For passport service in Oroville, CA you can go here for passport help. Butte County Clerk/Recorder is a County / State facility that is able to witness your signature and seal your passport documents - standard processing is 4-8 weeks. This office DOES NOT issue passports, they will send your passport forms directly to a regional passport facility. There is 1 other passport acceptance agent offices located in Oroville. Butte County Clerk/Recorder is located in County, California.

About Butte County Clerk/Recorder

Butte County Clerk/Recorder is not a passport issuance facility and you will NOT receive a passport on-site there. This facility is an acceptance agent, the Butte County Clerk/Recorder is sort of like a special notary for the Department of State / Passport Agency in which they can "Witness" your signature and officially "Seal" your application and documents. There is a separate $35 fee for this that is paid at the time of sealing.

Needs to visit an acceptance agent
New Passports Application (Child or Adult)
Lost / Damaged Passport Replacement

Doesn't need to visit an acceptance agent
Passport Renewal
Passport Name Change Application

Passport Processing Times at Butte County Clerk/Recorder

Standard Processing - Because of Covid-19, the current processing times are 10-12 weeks after submitting an application.

Expedited Processing - You can pay an extra $60 when sealing your documents at Butte County Clerk/Recorder to get your passport quicker, typically in 4-6 weeks.

Emergency Processing - (NOT AVAILABLE at Butte County Clerk/Recorder): If you have proof of travel within 3 days you can request an emergency appointment at one of the regional passport offices close to Oroville. Also see our info about 3rd-party passport expediters.

Nearest Regional Passport Offices to Oroville, CA

San Francisco Passport Agency - 110.6 Miles
Los Angeles Passport Agency - 362.7 Miles
San Diego Passport Agency - 462.4 Miles

Passport Services Offered at Butte County Clerk/Recorder

Passport Forms - If you need to pick up a physical pre-printed application that you can fill out by hand, the Butte County Clerk/Recorder will have pre-printed passport forms. You may also get passport forms from our website and print them on your own printer.

Passport Document Sealing / Passport Application Signature Witness - Butte County Clerk/Recorder is an official Acceptance Agent as appointed by the Department of State. Certain municipal and postal employees at this location are authorized to "Witness" your signature (kind of like a notary).
NOTE: not required for passport renewals
Acceptance Agent fee is $35 (see more about Acceptance Agent Fees)

4-6 week passport expediting / 10-12-week standard passport service - These are the standard processing times for passports at any acceptance agent.

Butte County Clerk/Recorder Service Area Radius

This passport office is located in - Butte County and serves the passport needs for residents of other nearby zipcodes including: 95965, 95958, 95938, 95969, 95967, 95974, 95928, 95917, 95968, 95927, 95929, 95926, 95976, 95966, 95948, 95920, 95954, 95914, 95916

Frequently asked questions

How fast can I get a passport at Butte County Clerk/Recorder?

Butte County Clerk/Recorder does not issue passports, they are sent to a central processing facility, it will take at a minimum of 4 weeks if using expedited service and up to 12 weeks for standard processing.

I need a passport sooner than that, what are my options?

It's about 230 miles roundtrip, so it is pretty far from Oroville to San Francisco Passport Agency, the closest passport issuing agency. You might want to consider using a passport expediting service to save you the time of going there yourself.

Does Butte County Clerk/Recorder charge for passports?

Butte County Clerk/Recorder is an acceptance agent, Butte County Clerk/Recorder does not issue passports – they do however charge the standard $35 acceptance agent fee to seal your documents, this is only required for new or replacement passport applications; renewals do not need to be sealed and thus no acceptance agent fee is required. Please see our detailed information on passport fees.

Can I get walk-in passport service at Butte County Clerk/Recorder?

If by walk-in service you mean get your passport there at Butte County Clerk/Recorder? Then no. They do not issue passports, you can get walk-in passport issuance at a regional passport facility only, not local acceptance agent facilities; passport are sent to a central processing location.

Does Butte County Clerk/Recorder do passport renewals?

If you have your expired or soon-to-be expired passport, it is in good condition and the validity period on your expired passport was for 10-years, then you do not even need to visit an acceptance agent. You can do your application online, print-it and send it in with new passport photos, the old passport, and the required passport fees. See our guide about passport renewals to renew your passport yourself.

Can Butte County Clerk/Recorder tell me about the status of my application?

No, they are acceptance agents and have nothing to do with the application once they witness your signature and seal your application. Once an application is in-process, Butte County Clerk/Recorder will not be able to assist any further.

Does Butte County Clerk/Recorder take passport photos?

No, you will have to get your passport photo taken before you go to Butte County Clerk/Recorder for the sealing of your passport. Do not go there without getting passport photos first or you will not get your application sealed. Here's the list of locations to get passport photos in Oroville.

What forms of payment does Butte County Clerk/Recorder accept?

You can pay for the acceptance agent fees with cash, check, debit card, or money order. Your passport application fees will be paid separately by check or money order only.

Scroll to top