You can only use this form if the following conditions have been met:
- Passport is not damaged and it can be submitted with your DS-82 application.
- Your current passport was issued when your were 16 years old or older.
- Your current passport was issued within the past 15 years.
- Your name has not changed since your current passport was issued or if it has you can provide a legal document to support the name change (i.e. court order, marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc..).
Tips for filling out the DS-82 Passport Application
When filling out the DS-82 electronically online, there will be fields that are not required; however, the more information you include the better. If you know the information that is being asked, it is important that you include it. A couple of helpful hints while filling the application out:
- Make sure your name is spelled the way you want it to appear on the passport but also matches up with your proof of Identification
- When you are asked if you have been issued a US passport before you must put your current passport numbers in here. This will allow the system to distinguish that you are a renewal and create a DS-82. If you do NOT include this information it will automatically print a new application instead of a Renewal.
After filling in all the information you are going to come to an edit page. Stop and take the time here to carefully review all your information and make any necessary changes. Next you will come to the product service and fees page. This page is going to tell you how much your check or money order will total for the US Department of State. The total includes the fee for the Acceptance Clerk.
The first section will ask you what products you would like:
- Passport book- Standard 28 pages or non-standard 52 pages
- Passport Card- Only good for travel by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean
- Both book and card
The next sections will have you select your shipping and service type which will differentiate on how quickly you need your Passport. At this point you will also check if you are doing a File Search.
The next page you come to is going to allow you to create a PDF of your application and print it. To do this simply scroll to the bottom left hand corner where it says Create Form. You must check the computer fraud box above it before it will let you create the form. From there it will create a 6 page PDF. Although it is six pages, page 5 and 6 are the actual application. You can print out your application and sign it.