Throughout the year processing times for routine service are generally four to six weeks due to heavy volume. In the spring and summer there are longer processing times. To avoid longer processing times before your travel date creeps up on you, apply for your passport now. You can receive your passport in less than four weeks for routine service. However during the busy season it can take up to 8 weeks.
- Routine Service- 4-6 weeks in the fall and summer (4-8 weeks in the spring and summer)
- Expedited Service- 2-3 weeks Door to Door (Available from the Department of State)
- In-Person Visit to a Passport Agency – Same-day to couple of days (Depends on the individual Passport Agency)
- Same day – 2 Weeks Nationwide – Available by using a 3rd-party passport expediting company WITHOUT the need to appear in-person at a Regional Passport Agency.
The door-to-door 2-3 week estimated timeframe for receipt of your passport takes into consideration the following factors:
- Additional time it may take to receive your passport application at a Passport Agency/Center when you apply for Expedited Passport Processing through a designated Passport Acceptance Facility; and
- Additional time it may take to mail the passport to you.
Please remember when calculating processing times, passport cards cannot be shipped using overnight delivery. All passport cards are returned using First Class Mail.
It takes 5-7 days for applications to be tracked online. It may take less time if you paid for Expedited Service and sent your application via overnight delivery.